Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 3 - Windsor Castle and Hampton Palace

September 6, 2009 - One of the coolest parts about visiting England was the amazing castles and cathedrals and old villages we got to visit. There is so much history there - and the architecture of all these structures were beautiful! That's not something you run into every day here in Colorado, so I really appreciated the experience.

Ashley, me, and Queen Victoria outside Windsor Castle. This is one of the residences of her majesty, the Queen. She lives in Buckinham Palace most of the week, then uses this castle as more of a weekend home. I believe there is one more castle she uses as a residence as well, but we didn't see it. How spoiled can you get? I would think if you had ONE castle you'd be doing pretty good for yourself, but THREE??



Here are Mom, Ashley, and I posing inside Windsor Castle.

Gorgeous!! I love the ivy climbing the walls!

The Queen's Guard

Ashley and I with one of the Royal Guard. It is illegal to touch them - you could seriously be arrested, so I gave him a little space! I felt bad for the poor guy though, because he just had to stand perfectly still while all these tourists kept coming up to take pictures next to him. He couldn't even turn his head or anything to see who was next to him. I guess that's just part of the job description!


Hampton Palace

We had a quick bite to eat for lunch, then headed for Hampton Palace - former home of the famous King Henry VIII. I think it's sad to be famous for beheading your wives and forming your own church so you'd be allowed to divorce the others, though, don't you? However, the palace was beautiful, and we enjoyed the crazy king's taste in architecture!


Ashley and I in front of Hampton Palace (we decided to get a little more creative in our poses - we took A LOT of pictures on this trip!)

Inside the palace - a courtyard with a fountain - beautiful!


Behind the castle is a giant hedge maze, that was pretty fun - we did not do too well at first, so when we found the center of the maze, we thought it would be good to commemorate with a picture!



Mom making friends with some swans and geese.

No comments: