Sunday, September 20, 2009

Day 2 - Sight-seeing in London

September 5, 2009 - This was our biggest walking day of the whole trip. Mom was afraid to drive our rental car yet. I can't blame her - it's hard enough to remember to stay on the left-hand side of the road, I don't think I would have chosen a big city packed with unknowing victims as my first driving location either! So we took "the tube" in to the city and walked all day. We guessed that we probably walked at least 10 miles in all that one day.

First, we had to figure out how to mail our first postcards home. Tristan loves this picture - he says I look very confused! That is just my "reading the mail pick-up times face" though! We were very excited once we figured out that these big red things were "post" boxes. Then, we headed for our first major site - Buckingham Palace. We found this beautiful park on the way, though, and had to stop to take a few pictures.

Ashley and I relaxing (for 15 seconds) before we continued on our walk.

Mom having a taste of chocolate (we had a quota to eat so much chocolate per day to fill!) What a pretty scene.


I noticed this as we walked through the park - apparently we were on the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Walk, and didn't even realize it.

Bristish Geese and pigeons


Buckingham Palace - we think the Queen was there, because the British flag on top was raised. That what Mom thought it meant - but she reminded us throughout the trip that she was a FREE tour guide, and you get what you pay for!

West Minster Abbey
It was beautiful inside and out. Mom followed the rules this once though and didn't take pictures inside, so you'll have to take my word for it! It was HUGE, filled with statues and monuments of royalty and people they liked!

Ashley and I posing by the Thames River, with the Tower Bridge in the background. We got to walk across it - it was really cool. Up close it looks like more of a castle than a bridge.

This ferris wheel is apparently famous - it's called "The London Eye". I only knew about it from an episode of Phineas and Ferb I saw with the kids where they went to London and rode it, Phineas and Ferb style!

No comments: